Tuesday, March 31, 2009

SHINGLES STINK!!!

I am gonna try and blog about the "fun" in the Phelps home, if I can tolerate the pain of sitting up long enough to get it written.
As you may have noticed from the not so subtle title, I have shingles. No it is not common in pregnant women, but thank goodness it is also not dangerous for the baby. Quick medical course for those who need it. Shingles is caused by the chicken pox virus. After you have the chicken pox or the vaccine this lovely virus takes up permanent residence in your nerves. For some reason, later down the road it sometimes decides to rear its ugly head again. It is EXCRUCIATINGLY painful. Just think about it...a virus is iritating your nerves relentlessly. It is not contagious, thank goodness. The rash that also accompanies this does contain the active chicken pox virus so someone who has never had chicken pox could catch chicken pox if they touched the open sores, but that is it.
My shingles has decided to attack the left hand side of the middle of my back. This makes sitting and standing for more than a couple of minutes very painful. I spend most of my days in the recliner or stretched out in bed trying to find some relief.
I don't want to be a whiner, so I will switch gears and tell you the good that our gracious Lord has brought out of this.
My wonderful husband has really stepped up. He has jumped in with both feet. He has taken over everything in our home. He is the driver, the cleaning crew, the wait staff, and even the chef. Yes, Jeremy is actually learning to cook because I can't.
I can't imagine how I would get through this with out him. His support and help allow me to, and encourage me to be tough and struggle through this.
Thank you Lord, for giving me such an awesome husband and such a wonderful life.

1 comment:

Morgan Gagnier said...

Sorry Shelley you are hurting! We will be keeping you guys in our prayers!